The final week! I feel like I probably should have done a little more, and something more exciting. But what I decided to study this time were cloaks, folds, and boots. I know I should have focused on one singular thing throughout the duration of this project, but I constantly found myself altering what I wanted to do. This wasn’t necessarily a focus on one thing, but a focus on many things that I don’t normally do in the genre I work in. I love the fantasy genre, but I find myself doing monsters almost exclusively. So I focused my attention other things such as landscapes, outfits, armory, and faces.
I actually found a lot of fun sketching boots, finding different shapes, folds, buckles, etc. It’s not something I necessarily think of as an afterthought, but something I don’t really think too hard about. Now I feel more inspired to add what I learned from these sketches.
I need to work on folds so I did some cloak and hood studies to get the feel of them. Most of the things I make don’t have a ton of dramatic folds or fabrics/ drapery. This will be helpful for future illustrations.
As an extra, I painted the elf from last week in Photoshop. It’s nothing I would consider fantastic, but just a simple practice/ study.
Overall, I thought this project was a good way to get us to try something new. To be honest I thought I could have done a bit more myself, but I did learn some new things that inspired me for future works.
My favorite pieces I made throughout this project had to have been the metal/ predator studies I did on canson paper and the inked portraits I did last week. I’m definitely going to do more pieces on canson now that I experimented with it. Even though I didn’t really do as much as I should have, it really did wake me up to have fun with things outside of what I would normally fall back on.